2014-2015 STUDENT SUPPLY LISTS
In preparation for the 2014-2015 school year, a supply list has been posted for each grade in the "Students" section of this website in the folder, "Grade Supply Lists". The lists are in pdf format and can be downloaded at your convenience. Students are to report back to school at 8:00 am, Thursday, September 4, 2014. Thank you for your continued support.
2014-2015 SUMMER LITERACY AND MATH PACKETS
In order to maintain a continuity of instruction over the summer months, all PS 72 students are required to complete a Summer Literacy and Math Packets. These packets have posted in the "Students" section in the folders labeled: "Summer Literacy Packets" and "Summer Math Packets". They are in pdf format and downloadable. These packets are due when students return to school on Thursday, September 4, 2014, and will figure in first marking period grades. Don't forget, today's readers are tomorrow's leaders. Download 100 Book Challenge Log sheets and record your steps this summer.
PS 72 SCHOOL BROCHURE!!!
PS 72 Brochure 1314.pdf
How are we preparing our students for college and careers?
How are we integrating the content areas with Literacy and Mathematics?
What programs are available for my child before and after school?
You can find the answers to these questions and much more in the new PS 72 school brochure. The brochure contains information about our academics, extra-curricular activities, youth development, college and career readiness. Please, click the link below to download the brochure. Thank you for your continued support!!!
Dear Parents and/or Guardians,
Kindergarten will be undertaking a unit entitled Learning About Each Other and the World; in this unit your child will be exposed to a variety of genres related to the unit topic; this unit will take approximately 13 weeks and is directly related to the New York State Social Studies Scope and Sequence –Self and Others.
- First Grade will be studying a unit entitled Making Choices; in this unit your child will be reading and responding to both narrative and informational texts, fiction and non fiction, that relate to this topic; also as part of this unit your child will be writing an opinion piece. This unit is expected to take 13 weeks and directly relates to the New York State Social Studies Scope and Sequence-Families Now and Long Ago.
- Second Grade will be embarking upon an integrated unit entitled Making Decisions; for this unit your child will be reading and responding to both narrative and informational texts, fiction and non fiction. Your child will be writing an opinion piece as part of this unit. This unit will take approximately 13 weeks, and it is aligned to the New York State Social Studies Scope and Sequence-Rights, Rules and Responsibilities.
- Third Grade will be immersed in a unit that is correlated to the New York State Scope and Sequence-Introduction to Culture and Communities Around the World-China. The integrated unit is entitled Connecting Character, Culture and Community. Your child will be reading and responding to narrative and informational texts, fiction and nonfiction. This unit will take 13 weeks.
- Fourth Grade will be commencing an integrated unit called Interactions in Nature and Culture in which your child will be reading and responding to both narrative and informational texts, including fiction and non fiction books. The students will be asked to write an opinion as part of this study. This unit is aligned to The New York State Scope and Sequence-Three Worlds Meet and Colonization and American Revolution and the New Nation. It is expected that this unit will take 13 weeks.
- Fifth Grade will be studying the unit Finding Courage. It is aligned to the New York State Scope and Sequence- Westward Expansion and Latin America. Your child will be reading and responding to narrative and informational texts, fiction and non fiction. As part of this unit your child will be asked to write a speech that conveys his/her opinion about an injustice that must be corrected. This unit should take 13 weeks.
Each unit for all grades is divided into Module A and Module B. Each module lasts about six or seven weeks. After each module there is a Performance Based Assessment that is comprised of written responses to a task. When both modules are completed, a ReadyGen/PARCC simulated assessment will be administered to each grade to gain further insight into our children’s progress.
I thank you for your continued support as we work together for our children.
Margarita Colon, Principal
Arrival and Dismissal Announcement for the P.S. 72 Community
In an effort to ensure the safety of our staff, students, and parents/guardians, we are asking that all parents/guardians who drop off or pick up students adhere to all traffic regulations. We must make sure that everyone has a safe passage at all crosswalks and we must be mindful of our community. Please be aware that the NYPD will be ticketing vehicles. Thank you for your cooperation.